April 3, 2008

I LOVE MY JOB!

The most recent pep rally. I think I won head cheerleader!!!

Seriously, I challenge everyone to come up with a job where you can: talk to intriguing (crazy, hilarious, inappropriate, tired) 6th graders all day, watch Full House after pep rallies, paint your entire face yellow and brown (and it's normal), have a diet coke accessible throughout the entire day (with 55 cents of course), order take out from Cup and Saucer (if you have not had it, get it immediately), chat with your blog buddies during planning, walk out of your room to three hilarious girls who talk about everything from Brittany Spears to IBS, receive peppermint patties for properly administering SATs, have E TV readily available to watch when we come to school after hours, learn words like "smarticile" "awesomenessest" "cooliousnesome," eat the best vanilla cake with white icing and sprinkles EVER, get to wear hot pink leopard print slippers when your feet hurt, vent to your kids about expensive power bills, talk to the kids about, "I promise I played soccer at Auburn, look at the poster!" convince the kids I was not born as Jenny Ferguson-I once had another last name, sit in a desk pretending to sleep next to a student who is really asleep, and love getting up for work everyday.

I am not going to say there are days where I wish I would have just stayed in bed; but I never knew the working world could be so satisfying.

As some of you know, not everyone, I come up with the cheers for the Leopard team at Drake. Of course I cannot come up with something as lame as:


"Rah Rah Ree Kick them in the knee, Rah Rah rass, kick them in the other knee!"

I have to let my kids know I am with it, I'm hip, I'm in with the latest hits. So our big cheer this year was to the hit single "Soulja Boy" (no not soldier boy, I was already called out on that). Our cheer goes a little something like this:


Awwww….RULE
Leopards all up in this school
Watch us rock it
Watch us rule
Throw our spots up in your face
Then Superman this place
Now watch us rule
(crank those Leopard spots)
Rule
(crank those Leopard spots)
Rule
(crank those Leopard spots)
Rule

(crank those Leopard spots)
REPEAT

Leoparrrrrrrrds Rule!

Of course the kids cannot just sit there and say the cheer, they must dance along too. I am not talking about po dunk square dancing, the kids say they "get down!"


You may ask yourself, "Jenny, why are you publishing such a random post?" Well I will have to tell you because everyone needs to understand the severity and intensity I associate with pep rallies. I was thinking about it today, what other competitiveness do I still hang on to in my life. I mean I can challenge a random car at a stop light for a drag race down Gay Street, but I prefer to express myself in pep rallies. I cannot tell you how much fun it is. Some people do not get very into pep rallies, but I am crazy about them. I think it is that little eagle mascot still living deep down inside of me. Bill says, " This just shows how stable personality traits are."...DORK (love you baby). So if you see me going to the bank with reminants of yellow paint on my cheek, do not look at my strange, just know that I just got done dancing the "Soulja Boy" with a bunch of 12 year olds.




6 comments:

Dan said...

That cake WAS awesome today!! I was blown away.
i love my job too.

John and Brooke said...

This makes me EVEN more SAD to think that I will not be teaching with you and our other friends next year :( Now I will definitely have to make plans to come back for a pep rally and re-live DMS Pep Rallies!!

Shealy said...

I can't wait to hear what you come up with next year!!

The Dyer Family said...

i love confetti cake!! yum, yum, gonna get some!
and i wish you could bottle whatever comes over you come pep rally time, because i would totally take it. it would work much better than my usual pep rally cocktail - 1/2 a xanax and 2 excedrin migraine! and that's just to get me through the day. no pep is insured with that combo.

Jen Manning said...

so i like the randomness of that. you would have a soulja boy cheer. i can actually see you doing it in my head. you are more then likely the coolest teacher ever...also i miss you. a lot...also, did i happen to see ascca zipline harnesses in that picture? i think so. you can't trick me. i have put on approximately 32503429534 of them.

Kosek Landing said...

Working in a school setting is so great! I think we really did pick one of the best careers possible (except the pathetic salary growth). Cute blogness you little blogerator. Love you.