February 19, 2010

Is it too much to ask...

I always knew I would find myself in the world of the working mom. I watched my mom successfully do it when I was a child, and I knew I had the working mom gene embedded in my code. Bill and I were fully aware of home much daycare was going to cost. Therefore, we were even fullier (is that a word) aware that we would have to be, on -the- go, constantly working parents in order to give Ryan the best childcare possible. A lot of people have asked us how we do it (not to toot our own horn), but honestly I think we have to have the busy chaos in order for our lives to run effectively. I know that I have to be downstairs by 7:15 in order to be out the door by 7:20, so I can then get to work on time (7:40). Luckily my amazing husband makes my lunch and takes Ryan to daycare every morning- I mean he's amazing. I know that I get off work at 3:40 and have to hurry home to go running so I can pick up Ryan at 5, so she is not there with all of the slacker kids. I know I have to make her dinner as soon as I get home from picking her up because she had her snack over two hours ago. I know these things and I love them about my life. It is the rare day that is not what I signed up for...
Head out the door at 7:30 to pull up to my parking spot right at 7:39- good timing right, but wait, my make-up has not been applied. I run in my room, put on my make-up just in time to hear the homeroom bell ring. My lovely homeroom enters, I take roll, only to find my yearbook rep standing, no lurking, behind me- SURPRISE. Now he did help me so much, but I did not have time to sit in the room with him that day, I had to take random candids of teachers to fill in my final page for the yearbook. So I know everyone I work with is totally sick of me saying, "Okay you guys, get together, SMILE!" Heck, I am sick of saying it. When I stroll back in my room at 9:19, 1 minute before planning is over I catch my lovely rep walking out the door reminding me, "Final deadline, Monday." Umm yeah thanks buddy, if you check my blood pressure you would know I am thinking about that!
2nd period- average competition party. So I check my e-mail and chill with my kids while they stuff their faces with cheese puffs and powdered donuts. Lunch - amazing turkey sandwich to be accompanied with 2 girls crying at the end of my lunch table- poor things. I mean there is nothing worse than middle school drama, I remember just being distraught some days and others I was on top of the world. After lunch, I head back to my hall and hear a child VERY upset so that situation had to be dealt with.
Then one of my students scraped his face outside during PBS recess (something we reward our kids with) while jumping down from the monkey bars- likely story, right?
Finally, I was able to finish my 4th and 5th periods in a somewhat normal fashion. Perfect time to start a normal day, right?
After school, I had a meeting at 3:30, which went until around 4:15. I sped home to change for soccer at 5, ran soccer from 5-7, then had a meeting after practice from 7-7:45ish.
I finally trudged up to my front door around 8 o'clock absolutely exhausted only to find that my sweet baby had already gone to bed. So on Thursday, I got to see my daughter for a grand total of 2 minutes in the morning while I was trying to put my boots on without falling over- real special encounter.
I mean, I know it may be too much to ask, to see my own daughter, once a day, but come on. I mean I honestly do not know what I am worried about, it looks like things are being taken care of at home.

4 comments:

Kathy--- said...

My gracious! You wore me out before 2d period. And the girls were probably crying over some boy. Bless your heart. Bill is such a good Daddy, and Ryan and the dogs are PRECIOUS. We can't wait to see you this weekend!!!!!!! Love U

The Dyer Family said...

i know exactly how you feel - just having detention duty this week has thrown off our already hectic schedule. i don't know how i'm going to do it all when we get to the point that they have practices and lessons afterschool.

Kosek Landing said...

Really cute picture! Those dog legs laid over her.

I hear you sister. Rat race!

Ashley Eason Stamper said...

Oh my word! I am exhausted reading that one! I need your secret! Love you and miss you!